Juvederm® Aftercare: Tips for Patients
Looking younger and more refreshed doesn’t always require facial plastic surgery. Our Paoli, PA practice offers a number of options for non-surgical rejuvenation. These cosmetic procedures help eliminate wrinkles and enhance various facial features.
Juvederm® injections have been growing in popularity given how effective they are at enhancing the appearance of the face. Let’s take a moment to consider the basics of Juvederm® injections, and then look at the side effects and other aspects of aftercare following treatment.
Juvederm® is a type of dermal filler injection. It is hyaluronic acid based, meaning that the primary ingredient occurs naturally in the human body, reducing the risk of allergic reaction. Juvederm® injections can be used to enhance the size of the lips and to reduce the prominence of various facial lines and wrinkles.
Activities to Avoid After Juvederm® Injections
After undergoing a Juvederm® injection, be sure to avoid the following activities:
- Exposure to excessive heat (e.g., hot showers, saunas, hot tubs)
- Direct exposure to sunlight
- Strenuous exercise
- Consuming alcoholic beverages
Your cosmetic skin care specialist will let you know when these activities may be resumed.
In addition, we advise patients that they should avoid the following medications and supplements for two weeks after a Juvederm® injection:
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Vitamin E
Side Effects of Juvederm®
Some of the most common side effects of Juvederm® injections include:
- Headaches - Headaches after Juvederm® injections can occur. Thankfully the headache is only temporary.
- Bruising and Swelling - Like headaches, bruising and swelling can occur after Juvederm®. This is very mild and fades relatively quickly, and can be managed by using ice or a cold compress.
- Redness and Welts - Redness and welts can develop around the injection site, which is a normal reaction, all things considered.
- Itchiness and Irritation - Some itchiness after undergoing an injection is not uncommon.
- Lumps and Bumps - Some minor lumps or bumps may form around the injection site following treatment. These are temporary, and minor massage of the area can help eliminate problems.
How Long Do Juvederm® Side Effects Last?
In general, the side effects following a Juvederm® injection will last for only a day to a few days. Follow-up care with your plastic surgeon will help you manage these side effects should they persist without getting better.
What If I Have Questions About Side Effects?
Any time you have concerns about the side effects after a Juvederm® injection, you can contact the practice. We will address these concerns in a timely fashion and help you get the answers and assistance you need as soon as possible.
How Long Do Juvederm® Results Last?
The results of Juvederm® injection treatment last anywhere between 4 months to 6 months. Once the effects of the initial Juvederm® injection have faded, patients may undergo another Juvederm® injection in order to prolong the results of treatment.
Is Juvederm® Right for Me?
The best way to find out if Juvederm® injections are ideal for you and your needs is to stop by the practice for a consultation. We will be more than happy to discuss these matters in greater detail with you and help you make the right choice for your cosmetic goals.
Learn More About Juvederm®
For more information about Juvederm® and how it can help you, be sure to contact an experienced plastic surgeon and cosmetic skin care specialist. The team here will help you look younger and more rejuvenated.