Treatment for Thinning Lips
Whether you were born with thin lips or the aging process has diminished your once-plump pout, there are several surgical and non-surgical treatments available.
At Hove Center for Facial Plastic Surgery in Paoli, PA, Dr. Christopher R. Hove offers dermal fillers, fat injections, and lip implants to alter the appearance of your lips. Here, our team explores treatment for thinning lips so patients can be well-informed about their options.
Common Causes of Thinning Lips
In addition to genetics, there are several reasons why thinning lips occur. For example, thin lips can be caused by:
- A decrease in collagen production: Collagen is like scaffolding that provides support and elasticity to the skin. As we age, natural collagen production slows. This can make the skin appear droopy and wrinkled. In many cases, a lack of collagen leads to thinning lips.
- Vitamin deficiency: If your skin and hair have become oily, or your lips have become thin or cracked, it could indicate a Vitamin B deficiency.
- Excessive sun exposure: Most individuals know the importance of wearing sunscreen when outdoors for prolonged periods of time. However, it is also important to protect your lips from harmful UV rays, as excessive sun exposure can lead to collagen breakdown.
Treatment Options for Thinning Lips
A skilled cosmetic surgeon, like Dr. Hove, can use a variety of methods to help you reach your desired aesthetic goals. At our practice, the three most common treatments for thinning lips include dermal fillers, fat injections, and lip implants. We will explore each of these briefly in the sections below.
Due to their non-surgical, minimally invasive nature, dermal fillers are a popular treatment choice for thinning lips. Typically, fillers that are derived from hyaluronic acid, such as Restylane and Juvéderm, are the most effective for achieving plumper, fuller lips. Dermal fillers can also smooth vertical lip lines and wrinkles.
Little to no downtime is necessary following dermal filler treatment. In fact, the entire process usually only takes about 20 to 30 minutes at our practice, and the results are immediately noticeable.
Keep in mind that hyaluronic acid fillers are temporary. Re-treatments must be performed every four months to one year to maintain optimal results.
Also referred to as fat grafting, fat injections are also a common treatment for thinning lips. This process involves removing fat from one area of the body, purifying it, and then injecting it into the area of concern.
Because this treatment involves liposuction, it is considered a surgical procedure. However, patients choose this option for many reasons:
- Results can last many years, eliminating the need for re-treatment.
- There is virtually zero risk of allergic reaction, since the fat injections come from the patient’s own body.
- There is no need for incisions in the lips.
- Fat injections typically yield natural-looking results.
Patients desiring a dramatic increase in lip volume can benefit from lip implants. During this surgical procedure, Dr. Hove creates a small incision in the lips and places implants to achieve the appropriate shape and fullness.
After lip implant placement, the results typically last for many years. The procedure itself takes less than one hour to complete, and once healing has taken place, the scars are virtually undetectable.
Contact Hove Center for Facial Plastic Surgery Today
If you are concerned about thinning lips, there are several options that can help you achieve your cosmetic goals. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Hove. Each and every treatment plan we design is tailored to the needs of the individual. Contact us online or give us a call at (610) 647-3727.