How Long Does a Facelift Last?
When people undergo a facelift, it doesn’t target the entire face. Only the middle portion of the face is treated with a traditional facelift. That means the area around the eyes and the cheekbones. Tightening around the mid-face area leads to a more youthful appearance, with fewer wrinkles and less facial sagging.
While facelifts have great results, these outcomes don’t last forever. Philadelphia, PA area facial plastic surgeon Dr. Christopher R. Hove discusses how long facelift results last and what can be done to prolong the anti-aging benefits.
Average Lifespan of Facelift Anti-Aging Benefits
In general, the results of a facelift will last about 15 years. The exact amount of time can vary from patient to patient. Sometimes the facelift results last longer, other times they don’t last quite so long.
Keep in mind that the overall benefits of a facelift will have lasting impact on your appearance moving forward even as results fade. This means that you will continue to look more youthful even as the facelift benefits diminish with time.
Causes of Facelift Results Diminishing with Time
A facelift can turn back the clock, but it can’t stop the clock entirely. The natural aging process means that even the best facelift results will be subject to the breakdown of collagen and elastin within the skin.
The team at our Philadelphia area facial plastic surgery center will work to ensure your results last as long as possible, but it’s important for patients to have realistic expectations about the procedure.
Tips for Prolonging the Benefits of Your Facelift
Even though the results of your facelift will eventually fade, there is a lot you can do to prolong the benefits of a facelift. That includes the following:
- Quit Smoking - Smoking is bad for your heath, and it can lead to the breakdown of collagen and elastin as well. Protect your overall wellness and the health of your skin by kicking the habit for good.
- Use Sunblock Whenever You’re Outdoors - Sun damage can take a major toll on the appearance and quality of your skin. That’s why it’s important that you use sunblock whenever you’re out in the sun.
- Wear Sunglasses When Outside - Sunglasses will protect your eyes from the damage caused by the sun, and will also protect the area around the eyes from sun damage.
- Wear a Hat with a Brim When Outside - A hat with a brim will provide shade for your forehead and upper portion of your face. This reduces the damaging effects of the sun and can help you appear younger in the long run.
- Eat a Healthy Diet - You are what you eat, and that reflects in your appearance. Be sure to eat a balanced, nutritious diet that’s rich in fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and lean protein. Avoid heavily processed foods and junk foods.
Undergoing Touchup Work as Needed
When the benefits of your facelift eventually fade, you can undergo touchup work to help look younger and more refreshed. We can discuss the potential of a touchup facelift and other procedures with you in greater detail during the consultation process.
Contact the Hove Center for Facial Plastic Surgery
If you live in the Philadelphia area and want to learn more about looking younger and more refreshed for years to come, be sure to contact a board-certified plastic surgeon. You can reach our practice by phone at (610) 647-3727. We look forward to hearing from you.